|You are here: Home / Shop / Product Detail Page|
Vocabulary From Classical Roots: D (Textbook/Teacher's Guide Set)
"Vocabulary from Classical Roots encourages you to look at words as members of families in the way astronomers see stars as part of constellations. Here you will become acquainted with constellations of words descended from Greek and Latin, visible in families that cluster around such subjects as the human being, kinds of mental activity, and aspects of daily life." — Preface
Need More Info?Please contact us if you've got questions about this product.
Vocabulary From Classical Roots: D – VERY GOOD: The book's spine, pages, and covers are in excellent condition.
Teacher’s Guide and Answer Key for Vocabulary From Classical Roots: D – VERY GOOD: The book's spine, pages, and covers are in excellent condition.
Vocabulary From Classical Roots: D is part of a 5-book series, which if completed, will help junior high and high school students in their test-taking skills (especially the SAT and ACT).
This course is recommended for 10th Grade students for one semester’s worth of lessons on Greek and Latin roots. If done along with a composition course, the length of time to complete the course could extend to a full year.
The authors encourage playing games and having contests and other highly-participatory activities to keep the students interested in the subject matter. Their suggestions are in the Teacher’s Guide.
There are 16 themed lessons in 8 pairs:
- 1 and 2: Believing
- 3 and 4: Thinking and Knowing
- 5 and 6: Reading and Writing
- 7 and 8: Speaking
- 9 and 10: Earth and Air
- 11 and 12: Fire and Water
- 13 and 14: Order and Disorder in the Universe
- 15 and 16: Time
Features of each lesson:
- A Latin or Greek quote based on the theme
- Up to 15 key words derived from Greek or Latin roots
- Dictionary-like format for each key word under its Greek or Latin root
- List of other familiar words with common roots
- Challenge words
- Multiple exercises that include multiple-choice, recognizing the incorrect use of the words, recognizing synonyms, and fill-in-the-blank
There are also review exercises for each pair of lessons, including writing and discussion activities. The Teacher’s Guide gives more information in its “Glossary of Literary and Historical References” section.
- Fifer, Norma and Nancy Flowers
- Educators Publishing Service, Inc.
- Publish Date:
- 1992, 1994, 1999, 2001, 2004
- Weight (pounds):
- 1.19 (combined)
- Dimensions (W”xL”xH”):
- Book: 9780838822562; Teacher’s Guide: 9780838822579
- Book:0838822568; Teacher’s Guide: 0838822576
- Grade Level:
- Grades 10-12, Grade 10